Sunday, October 18, 2009

NEW YORK STATE OF MIND

Back to New York! Let the gathering begin. You know the old (prehistoric, actually) concept of Hunting and Gathering? Well I do both. "Equalization of the sexes!", as Geri of Spice Girl fame would say.

Let's start with this lovely boutique EVA, located in the Bowery. Now the Bowery is known (or used to be, it's being gentrified as we speak) more for its bums than its shopping, but EVA had alot of interesting avant-garde items which would only give your credit card a hangover. Among my favorites was this Pamela Love claw bracelet. Pamela Love is a not-yet-widely know accessories designer out of Brooklyn, which my sources tell me is now the place for not yet R & F designers. This piece is so beyond cool as you can see where its talons actually left a small scratch on my wrist. Yes, I heal very fast!

This is the beyond adorable sales associate at EVA, who was very friendly and personable, completely busting to bits all preconceived notions about snooty New York boutique employees. This was a good thing as it made up for the experience at another boutique which I actually sought out and forced my friend to visit with me.
I won't mention any names (other than it is the name of a David Gates (Bread) song which was once cited on American Top 40 as having the shortest title ever for a #1 hit), but IF I'm ever in New York again, I will not waste my time looking for a boutique where they treat you as IF you either are in high school (not worth their time) or have typhoid fever or as IF they are the cool girls in your gym class and you have just tried to butt into their very important discussion on IF they should file their nails or clip them.
Too bad, because my experiences in New York every time I've been there have been of the positive kind. People seem to respond with genuine interest and warmth.



Here is my favorite local sales associate, Abbey, at BCBG (picture taken before I got my new camera, hence the blur). Abbey brings chicitude and friendliness together and takes them to new heights. New York's got nothin' on Abbey!



Plus, Abbey has killer shoes. Literally! I took this shot and so many people commented on how fabulous these shoes were that I went to gather them for myself but was told THEY WERE RECALLED! OMG, who has their shoes recalled? The extremely cool studded heels, apparently, detach. Unexpectedly. Three fashionistas have fallen to their death so far as a direct result of these killer heels. Needless to say, these shoes are no longer for sale.
So I was unable to procure these shoes for myself. The worst thing is, I was still disappointed, which tells you something about me. And I'm not sure it's good...



No comments:

Post a Comment