Friday, October 9, 2009

JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL...

Oh My God! There it is! Thank you, thank you window seat! In and out of the clouds, but definitely real, spiking right out of the face of the earth...Manhattan! I never get tired of this view.


An amazing opportunity came up last week...not only did I get the chance to go to New York City for a 4-day weekend, but it was to meet up with my "Best Friend From 9th Grade" (who shall, for the sake of confidentiality, be known as "Betty" in this post). And if you have ever been a 9th grade girl (and I'd assume anyone reading this has), you will perhaps remember how important and intense your best-friendship is at that stage of this Game We Call Life.

Anyway, we had not seen eachother for decades. How we reconnected is another long story (as they all are with me!), but when we met in La Guardia, it was as if we'd only been away for a year or two.
Only in New York City, we won't have our moms making sure we are home on time, not that we ever did anything like run around at night while saying we were at eachother's houses or hitch-hiking (OMG, did we do THAT? Noooo...) to the next town over for shopping...no, not us.

The Upper East Side...so Upper Crust! I love city views because all I can think about is how many people live there, in all those appartments, the perspective stretching on and on and on, and all those people have their own stories...all those stories, sometimes intersecting, sometimes not. Happy people, sad people, people in love, desperate people...
They will be all around me. I will meet them in the stores, on the street corner, in line for coffee, on the plane. I love hearing their stories.


That's our penthouse, the one with all the trees on the terrace...o.k., not really, but Betty's place was just as good. Had to be, it was in NYC and all we midwesterners know that the streets are paved with gold there.



The 'hood on the UES.
Haven't figured out yet how to rearrange the photos, so I will have to post again on the shopping & art issues...as you know there will be!




No comments:

Post a Comment