Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Project In Progress: Cargo Pants Jacket

These are my cargo pants...

And these are my cargo pants on my arm.
So if you thought this picture is of me doing a Scarecrow-from-the-Wizard-of-Oz-inspired dance move, you'd be wrong. This is my Project In Progress: the cargo pants jacket. Now some inquiring minds have inquired about the completion date for this project. The answer is:
1) when I have time to finish ripping the seams out of all the pants,
2) when I have a spare 10 hours, and
3) "after the dishes are done".
While #3 would seem to be the easiest, it is always the least attractive activity. #1 is also not really that fun or fast, as cargo pants have flat fell seams (the kind where the fabric is doubled over and stitched twice, with lots of annoying ladder-type serger action happening also). So it's slow going.
This idea came to me after I had been in J. Crew. They had a really cute military-type, army green jacket, just cotton, unlined, with nice pockets. I tried it on and loved it. However, due to my new commitment to thrift, I did not buy it. Some days later, as I was sorting through things I no longer wore much, I came upon these pants which were at one time a daily go-to pair but had fallen out of favor. So naturally, I put one leg on my arm and envisioned a really cool, Junya Watanabe-type jacket.

It's an arm! It's a leg! Arm! Leg! ...No...it's Cargo Pants Jacket!
Can't wait to see how it turns out. I will post a working sketch if I can figure out how to scan things.
Bisous, GW

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I'm sure you'll come back with plenty of other ideas after visiting NYC. Are you going to go to Mood Fabrics??

    I was also just perusing the Spring '10 Ready to Wear look books on Style, and I am in love with the shoe/sock look going on at Burberry Prorsum: www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2010RTW-BURBERRY

    ReplyDelete